How do you decided when to retire a carbon fiber mast?  I'm concerned about retiring it before it breaks from wear and tear.

Thanks

Views: 44

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Good question. Only time I've retired them is after they actually break. Most of the time that's happened when I get tossed in the ocean and am not too far from shore. Sorry that I can't answer the question.

Wow, sounds exciting!  

Alan White said:

Good question. Only time I've retired them is after they actually break. Most of the time that's happened when I get tossed in the ocean and am not too far from shore. Sorry that I can't answer the question.

Most of my broken masts have been in waves, my suggestion would be a close visual, for small cracks or camber groves & ect. unless you get alot of water time it takes a long time to fatigue one to failure. 

Good info,  thanks

Chuck Anderson said:

Most of my broken masts have been in waves, my suggestion would be a close visual, for small cracks or camber groves & ect. unless you get alot of water time it takes a long time to fatigue one to failure. 

I agree, Chuck. I keep mine out of the sun while storing and they last for years. I have a couple that are at least 15 years old. I'll continue using them. 

I've found the following works:

test that sort of works:

borrow it or lend it to a good friend to use, either way  a very good chance it break under just about any conditions,

test that always works:

sail it offshore a little more than 7 miles, it will break for sure.

Sorry great question that I wish I knew the answer too....

Reply to Discussion

RSS

© 2017   Created by Waterturtle.   Powered by

Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service